Thursday, March 13, 2014

Finding Something to Love


I believe that getting sick has been both the best and worst things to ever happen to me. Being sick sucks. Lupus sucks. Fibromyalgia sucks. But some times bad things can lead to good things and my illness has helped me to find my passion.

When it became apparent that I couldn't work I got really down on myself. I couldn't sit at home all day and watch TV, although I did try it for a while. I became bored and developed a low sense of self worth from doing nothing with my time. When brainstorming ideas of things I could do at home I remembered that I had always loved reading beauty blogs and watching beauty videos on YouTube so I figured why not start my own blog?

I had nothing to lose so I jumped right in to the whole process. I started by sharing DIY beauty recipes and random bits and pieces but somehow as my blog, Beautiful Basics, started to grow it turned into a natural beauty destination. In addition to the DIY beauty I featured I began to work with companies by reviewing their products. It started slow but my blog has now grown to something that I'm very proud of.

Thousands of people read my thoughts and enjoy what I have to say. I didn't expect my blog to continue to grow as it has but I'm so happy with it. To be honest, I've never really followed through with anything so I thought this would find the same fate as so many things I've tried in the past. This Saturday, March 15th, marks the 3-year anniversary of Beautiful Basics and with each milestone that passes I become more and more proud of what I have accomplished.

I'm not making any money but I do receive amazing beauty products for free so I can't complain. What began as something to help pass the time has become something that I absolutely love and I hope to one day turn this passion into a career. If I had never gotten sick I wouldn't have discovered that I love to blog and write about beauty.

At the end of the day, even if everyone thinks I'm a terrible writer and has no interest in what I'm saying, at least I'm putting energy into something. Something is always better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment