Friday, April 18, 2014

Sugar Sensitivity


We made a really interesting discovery about my health recently and it involves sugar. Just so you know, there is no such thing as a sugar allergy but there too much sugar does invoke an inflammatory response similar to what the immune system considers to be an allergen. Sugar suppresses the immune system and creates an imbalanced body chemistry that can lead to confusion, depression, fatigue, and muscle and joint pain.

I believe that I am sugar sensitive and it makes my illnesses worse. It makes a lot of sense because my immune system is already comprised. The sugar just causes spikes and attacks. I have decided to cut sugar out of my life and see how much it helps. I obviously can't cut sugar out entirely because there are a lot of natural sugars found in fruit, and I'm a vegetarian so fruit is important, but I can skip dessert and the treats that I often crave.

This newfound realization came about during my birthday celebration. I was feeling pretty good all day and several minutes after I ate a piece of cake I had a serious "attack" and was no longer coherent or feeling well. I'm going to test the sugar sensitivity theory out and skip sugar for the next 10 days (at least) and see if I start feeling any better. I'll keep you up to date with the results of this experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment