Saturday, February 8, 2014

Kassism #1


I came up with the idea to do a little series of random things about my illness that are kind of obscure and you may not know. It's easy to google symptoms and get an idea of how this all works but there are a lot of things that just don't get included on the wikipedia page or WebMD. I thought it might be kind of fun (that word is being used very loosely here, because how fun is any of this really?) to post a short little blog series featuring weird things that my body does. I'll start off with one of the most obvious ones, my speech.

I make up my own words and speak my own language thanks to severe aphasia. I get so frustrated trying to find words that I just let whatever wants to come out of my mouth come out. Thankfully my parents have learned to understand my language, although I honestly have no clue how because half the time I don't even know what I am saying. I seriously speak weird gibberish and they can decipher what I am saying. They're amazing.

The weirdest thing is that I can hear what I'm saying and I know what my brain is saying but can't understand what my mouth is saying. I always start out with the good intention of speaking actual English and I get really angry. I have learned to take a second when I'm done spewing nonsense and try again. Sometimes it takes me a couple of tries but I always get there eventually. Sometimes I end up kind of yelling random things until I get it, which is embarrassing.

When I am capable of forming actually words I have a problem coming up with what things are actually called so I call them something else, which is usually more complicated and difficult to say than what it actually is. The following are examples:
"Vacuuming the grass" – Mowing
"Dishwasher for clothes" – Washing machine (it honestly took me about 5 minutes to think of the real word for this one)

These are just a couple of the Kassie-isms that I use daily. It has only gotten worse as time has passed and I have made the mistake of just going with the Kassie-isms. I think it would be better for my brain if I worked it out, regardless of how long it takes, and come up with the actual name of things. I should make more of an effort from here on out.

Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not. The next Kassie-ism post will be a lot shorter, I promise. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment