Sunday, August 6, 2017

Minimalism

I just watched a really great documentary on Netflix called Minimalism: A Documentary about the Important Things. It’s mostly about living a full life with less stuff, and if we need stuff to make sure they’re things that bring us joy, and making sure we are living our best lives by focusing our attention on what really matters, the people we love. While it is mainly about having less stuff to weigh us down I took a lot more than that away from the film.

It reminded me that I want and need to live my life deliberately and with purpose. I want to make sure that anyone and anything I bring into my life are adding value. I want to live a life that is good for me and for the people around me.

I think as an entire society we have placed too much importance on social media and how the world views us. The other day I was beyond excited that 127 people liked a photo that I posted of myself on Instagram because it made me feel pretty but I shouldn’t need social media to feel beautiful. My blog, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter aren’t a piece of my identity. They do not make me who I am and I shouldn’t use them as a way to validate who I am.

Speaking of my blog, I often feel defeated when I see how many likes other bloggers get on their social media posts or how many comments they receive on their latest published post but it’s not a competition. Sometimes I even feel like I’m just not good enough when a company doesn’t want to work with me, but that’s not really an indicator of who I am or what I am. There can be a number of reasons they might not want to work me but it’s not something that should ever make me feel bad about who I am or what I’m putting out into the world.

We are all enough. We are all successful in our own unique ways. We are all exactly where we are meant to be and it shouldn’t matter how much money we make or how many comments and/or likes we receive from strangers on the Internet or what kind of car we drive or which designer clothing brands we wear. We can’t determine our value by looking at others or by being told what we are meant to be.

We are living in a world full of noise. Every single day we are exposed to constant interference from places that shouldn’t matter and it’s coming at us from every single direction. “Buy this” or “Wear this” or “You’re only cool if you do this” but none of it matters. All that matters is how happy we are with ourselves, how awesome the relationships we have with the people we love are, and how kind we are. Forget the latest fashion trends or beauty products, ignore what advertising and social media are trying to tell you that you should be, and simply live a life that makes you happy. Live your best life.

So many people are in search of bigger, better, more. So many people are living lives they can’t afford trying to “keep up with the Joneses” as they say. Things aren’t the key to happiness. Knowing yourself and loving with your whole heart are the keys that so many are seeking.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true
    Ppl portray only the positive aspects of their lives - this makes us feel as if we are living badly compared to them
    I too have reduce my time spent on social medias

    ReplyDelete