Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Excitement and Betterment

I just had an appointment with my doctor. I am so grateful for her. She is so kind and understanding. She's the kind of doctor I have needed all along. I had a 20-minute appointment that turned into about 40 because I had a lot of questions and ramblings. I'm nuts with medical research so I had a lot of things to talk about.

She raised my muscle relaxer and is working on getting the insurance to approve me seeing the Rheumatologist. I had a lot of blood work done and then we'll talk more about other medications next month.

It doesn't sound like we got a lot done but we really did and I feel good about. She is such a genuine human being who is easy to talk to and makes me feel not only listened to but heard, and understood. It was a good appointment.

I have a couple of other things I want to talk about because I'm excited about them. I was experimenting with food and seeing which foods made my body feel good and healthy and strong. I'm one of those people who believes that food is medicine and it should make us feel better, not worse, so I am now a gluten-free vegan. Every time I ate wheat I realized how shitty (hope you don't mind cursing) I felt afterward. I've been gluten-free for over a week now and vegan for only a few days, but I have no doubts that both will stick for good. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years-ish and going vegan is easy from there. I'm also going to cut back on sugar but I'm going to put that off for now. I don't want to throw my body into shock. I skipped adding sugar in my coffee yesterday (black isn't so bad) and I felt a little weird all day. Besides the sugar fiasco yesterday, my body already feels better and I'm excited to see what comes next.

I just placed a huge Vitacost snack haul, but to be honest I'm more interested in eating whole, clean foods like fruit and vegetables. We all need a chip or a sweet every now and then, though, so I'm eager to try everything I ordered.

Don't worry. I don't believe in preaching my food beliefs. Eat what you want and I'll eat what I want. I don't understand those vegans who are absolutely cruel to meat-eaters. We all get to make our own choices and I'm proud of mine. Don't ask me where I get my protein. I don't really care where you get yours so don't ask about mine. LOL! Have you seen the memes? They're true.

One thing I will say, though, is have you seen the documentary Forks Over Knives? I can't recommend it enough. It really changes one's perspective about food, even my former meat-loving, ice cream craving Dad. It's incredible.

Maybe 2018 will be the year of bettering my body and building health from the feet up. Maybe I will finally be able to get my pain and my health under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment